Entry tags:
Why you gotta be so mean?
[Gracie is wrapped up in a blanket and curled up on her couch. There’s a box of Kleenex on the couch next to her along with a pot of tea just barely visible on the end table to her right. Aslan is curled up on the back of the couch entirely unimpressed with the fact that he’s being filmed at the moment. It’s late and Gracie looks exhausted. She wiggles her fingers at the camera in a sort of wave. Her nose is red and when she speaks, she sounds stuffed up. ]
Hey guys. So today was the longest day ever. I woke up with a cold and with the holiday rush, I couldn’t leave Gem in a clutch so I was at work anyway. Don’t worry, I’m currently bathing in Germex every fifteen minutes so if you came into Barnes and Noble and bought a book from me, I promise I germex-ed before I touched your book and afterwards. I don’t want anyone else sick.
The good news is I am officially finished with this semester of college. I turned in my last project this morning.
Some of you know I spent the weekend with Peter. I got to watch him work and that was super cool. However, not everyone on the internet thought it was cool. [ She wrinkles her nose. ] People are mean and I expected the mean-ness. I really did, but I guess it still came as a shock?
[ She shrugs a little and shoves her hair off her face, leaving over to grab a hair tie and pull it up before she continues. ]
Just because someone is famous doesn’t give anyone the right to weigh in on their relationship or the people they care about.
[ Gracie blows out a dramatic sigh. ]
And yes, I’m trying to be diplomatic and calm and detached about this and no, I’m not as diplomatic, calm and detached about as I want to be. It’s just…
[ She hesitates, grabs a handful of Kleenex’s in order to catch an anticipated sneeze which she then balls up and tosses in a waste basket. She does the Germex thing before returning to the camera. Mostly she’s trying to keep her train of thought on track while stalling for time. She doesn’t have to talk about this on her vlog. She knows that, but there’s little doubt someone that watches her vlog has also seen the pictures that showed up on the internet along with the nasty comments. She might as well address it. ]
Yes. My boyfriend plays football for the Dallas Cowboys. The big secret is out, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be hateful. Maybe his tastes have changed. Maybe he’s turning over a new leaf. People do that, you know.
[ She’s beginning to get on a rant and it’s obvious from the renewed energy in her body language and her voice. ]
And since when is my bra size an important factor in our relationship? And just because I was too nervous to eat while watching the game doesn’t mean I don’t ever eat. I’m skinny. It’s a body type. Mom swears it has something to do with being twenty-two—three now. Oh yeah, I’m twenty-three.
Last time I checked appearances, appetite and social graces--I might have yelled during the game…a few times—weren’t the important things in a relationship. Last time I checked a person’s heart mattered a lot more. A person’s values and opinions, their hopes for the future, their compatibility, their sense of humor, the—the way two people fit together, their effect on each other.
Note that my hair and whether it’s natural or not—it is, by the way—wasn’t in that list. Nor were my [ air quote time ] squinty eyes.
[ She sighs and buries her face in her hands for a moment. ]
I’m sorry. I probably shouldn’t vlog doped up on Sudafed. I definitely shouldn’t talk about relationships or mean people on the internet.
Mean people, colds and impending Germex overdose aside, things with Peter and I are amazing. [ Despite being sick, she’s got a goofy sort of smile on her face.]
On that note, I’m going to take some Nyquil and go to bed. I love you guys and be nice to each other. Be kind.
Hey guys. So today was the longest day ever. I woke up with a cold and with the holiday rush, I couldn’t leave Gem in a clutch so I was at work anyway. Don’t worry, I’m currently bathing in Germex every fifteen minutes so if you came into Barnes and Noble and bought a book from me, I promise I germex-ed before I touched your book and afterwards. I don’t want anyone else sick.
The good news is I am officially finished with this semester of college. I turned in my last project this morning.
Some of you know I spent the weekend with Peter. I got to watch him work and that was super cool. However, not everyone on the internet thought it was cool. [ She wrinkles her nose. ] People are mean and I expected the mean-ness. I really did, but I guess it still came as a shock?
[ She shrugs a little and shoves her hair off her face, leaving over to grab a hair tie and pull it up before she continues. ]
Just because someone is famous doesn’t give anyone the right to weigh in on their relationship or the people they care about.
[ Gracie blows out a dramatic sigh. ]
And yes, I’m trying to be diplomatic and calm and detached about this and no, I’m not as diplomatic, calm and detached about as I want to be. It’s just…
[ She hesitates, grabs a handful of Kleenex’s in order to catch an anticipated sneeze which she then balls up and tosses in a waste basket. She does the Germex thing before returning to the camera. Mostly she’s trying to keep her train of thought on track while stalling for time. She doesn’t have to talk about this on her vlog. She knows that, but there’s little doubt someone that watches her vlog has also seen the pictures that showed up on the internet along with the nasty comments. She might as well address it. ]
Yes. My boyfriend plays football for the Dallas Cowboys. The big secret is out, but that doesn’t give anyone the right to be hateful. Maybe his tastes have changed. Maybe he’s turning over a new leaf. People do that, you know.
[ She’s beginning to get on a rant and it’s obvious from the renewed energy in her body language and her voice. ]
And since when is my bra size an important factor in our relationship? And just because I was too nervous to eat while watching the game doesn’t mean I don’t ever eat. I’m skinny. It’s a body type. Mom swears it has something to do with being twenty-two—three now. Oh yeah, I’m twenty-three.
Last time I checked appearances, appetite and social graces--I might have yelled during the game…a few times—weren’t the important things in a relationship. Last time I checked a person’s heart mattered a lot more. A person’s values and opinions, their hopes for the future, their compatibility, their sense of humor, the—the way two people fit together, their effect on each other.
Note that my hair and whether it’s natural or not—it is, by the way—wasn’t in that list. Nor were my [ air quote time ] squinty eyes.
[ She sighs and buries her face in her hands for a moment. ]
I’m sorry. I probably shouldn’t vlog doped up on Sudafed. I definitely shouldn’t talk about relationships or mean people on the internet.
Mean people, colds and impending Germex overdose aside, things with Peter and I are amazing. [ Despite being sick, she’s got a goofy sort of smile on her face.]
On that note, I’m going to take some Nyquil and go to bed. I love you guys and be nice to each other. Be kind.

no subject
He plays football, they are sort of rock stars. It's entertainment. Where all those shallow things that shouldn't matter are the only things that do matter to people.
But, to make you feel better, check out the photoshoot in Vanity Fair and laugh your ass off at my expense.
no subject
I googled Peter before I met him so I have an idea of what kinds of things get posted.
Nice. They're...artistic? I like the one of you and the bike at least.
no subject
They are horrible. Did you see this gem?
no subject
For the moment, I'm going to at least stay away from the me things.
Oh. My. God.
That's...I would like to say something flattering but...geese and leather pants in a pond...
no subject
I know, right? It's the most god awful picture of myself I've ever seen. Pleather long john's Gracie. Say it and try not to laugh.
no subject
I guess you're right. I still don't understand the need to be mean to someone you don't even know.
It's not possible. You're right. There was laughter. It's awful
no subject
That was someones 'artistic vision'. All I wanted to ask was if they needed glasses.
[ message from user: movingthechains ]
Re: [ message from user: movingthechains ]
Nothing important. I'm too skinny, my boobs aren't big enough, my eyes are skinny, I must be anorexic. Stupid things. It's no big deal.
[ She doesn't want Peter to feel guilty. ]
Oh and apparently, I'm really loud. I didn't know football games were quiet places.
[ message from user: movingthechains ]
Re: [ message from user: movingthechains ]
Thank you. The jealous part came through pretty loud and clear. I think there's a queue to date you. They don't like that I somehow cut to the front of it.
[ message from user: movingthechains ]
no subject
no subject
no subject
Thank you. That makes me feel better.
no subject
no subject
I know, but I really do appreciate when you use them.
no subject
no subject
I've had more practice, but don't be too hard on yourself. You're doing pretty good. You've managed to make me want to stay.
no subject
no subject
Well obviously you win. I mean you got me and I've been declared, by me, the unofficial vlogging babe of the decade.
[ She's trying and obviously teasing. ]
no subject
[ cause he could get inside her head a little when he watched them. ]
no subject
[ totally the point. Lately it's because a way to let Peter know what's going on inside her head. ]
no subject
no subject
And see, you made me feel better with words. Sometimes, they're magic.
no subject
no subject
Lucky for you, I don't need a novel. Just a few things occasionally.
no subject
no subject
You don't have to get me things kind of things, but the word kinds of things are good. You kind of things are the best kinds of things though.
no subject
no subject
You're even on the Dean's list.
[ message from user: mr. s ]
Re: [ message from user: mr. s ]
And I sort of live on the internet when I'm not at work or school so...yeah. It's funny, Sam and I talked a little bit about this not that long ago. He said you had to deal with things like this too. People suck.
[ message from user: mr. s ]
Re: [ message from user: mr. s ]
I'm not sure they care if their words hurt. How do you deal with it?
[ message from user: mr. s ]
Re: [ message from user: mr. s ]
I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying not to freak out and remind myself that Peter picked me to date, you know?
[ message from user: mr. s ]
Re: [ message from user: mr. s ]
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I guess. I'm not going to give up on him. That'd be too much like letting them win. At least as long as he wants to keep trying. He doesn't seem, so far, to care about what everyone else is saying.
[ message from user: mr. s ]
Re: [ message from user: mr. s ]
I knew I was glad you liked me for more reason than one. It sounds like that's a story I need to hear.
[ message from user: mr. s ]