Entry tags:
Say something I'm giving up on you
Skype for
movingthechains
Gracie was as nervous to skype with Peter as she had been the first time she'd talked to him, but this time she didn't have time to fret about it. In fact, she was running late. She'd texted Peter on her way from the store that she was running about ten minutes late. They had a new girl and a return to work out before she could leave. At 8:08, she was running into the house, tossing her bags at the couch and firing up her computer. She answered the skype ping while still running around.
"I'm here!" she yelled at the laptop. "Getting tea and changing!"
A few moments later, she plunks a tea pot down on the coffee table, sloshing tepid tea out onto the table then a cup. She finally collapses on the couch in front of the laptop in a pile. She's got a pair of fleece lined tights on, an overly large sweater, and a pair of house shoes. Her hair is pulled up in a mess, a pencil skewered through it.
"Today was crazy. I played hookey from as many things as I could yesterday so I spent all day making up for it." She waggles her fingertips at him. "Hi."
Gracie was as nervous to skype with Peter as she had been the first time she'd talked to him, but this time she didn't have time to fret about it. In fact, she was running late. She'd texted Peter on her way from the store that she was running about ten minutes late. They had a new girl and a return to work out before she could leave. At 8:08, she was running into the house, tossing her bags at the couch and firing up her computer. She answered the skype ping while still running around.
"I'm here!" she yelled at the laptop. "Getting tea and changing!"
A few moments later, she plunks a tea pot down on the coffee table, sloshing tepid tea out onto the table then a cup. She finally collapses on the couch in front of the laptop in a pile. She's got a pair of fleece lined tights on, an overly large sweater, and a pair of house shoes. Her hair is pulled up in a mess, a pencil skewered through it.
"Today was crazy. I played hookey from as many things as I could yesterday so I spent all day making up for it." She waggles her fingertips at him. "Hi."

no subject
He was nervous too. But he also wanted to try to get back on track and not fuck things up again. At least try not to. He did tend to self sabotage things when they got too serious. But he was going to try to talk to Gracie about that one of these days, maybe now or maybe when things were more stable.
He waits abnormally patient even when her skype comes on and she still has things to do. Then finally she's there and he grins. "Hi. Sounds like you've had a busy day."
no subject
Peter's tendency to self sabotage is something they need to talk about. Gracie suspects it's something he does, but it would help to have him talk about it and confirm it. She also knows that no relationship is easy and Peter hasn't had a real relationship in maybe ever. Gracie wants to know why that is too.
She leans forward, pouring tea in her cup, adding an obscene amount of sugar and some half and half to it before she sits back to listen to Peter.
no subject
Said cat proceeds to look directly at the camera and yawn.
no subject
The yawn makes Gracie laugh. "Obviously, she's not too worried about being broken."
no subject
no subject
She hesitates a moment. "Maybe, she's figured out that the douche bag part is mostly an act and she doesn't think she needs to worry."
no subject
He shrugs, looking up at the computer screen. "Maybe it is an act. Fuck if I know. I just know I've been playing the part so long it's more comfortable than whatever this is... whatever I'm feeling about you."
no subject
Her smile softens and she pulls the laptop into her lap so that she's closer to the screen then wraps her hands around her cup of tea. "That's the point of masks, isn't it? To make us comfortable when we're dealing with something difficult. Eventually it has to come off though. You have to deal with what's underneath."
no subject
A corner of his lips lilts upward. "You look good, Gracie girl."
no subject
Yeah, she's kind of talking about them and their relationship.
She blushes slightly. "Thank you." She looks up to him. "You too."
no subject
He pauses, taking a deep breath. "The truth is that I lied."
no subject
It's good to hear him laugh though. However, the smile that brings to her face comes to a halt when he makes his confession.
"I--okay. About what?"
no subject
no subject
She bites her bottom lip. "You know the thing about fairytales. they always end happily ever after. That's what makes it a fairytale."
Except the Russian fairytales, which are horrible and sad and never end with happily ever after, but she's not going to share those with him just yet.
no subject
He grabs another twizzler and lightly holds it between his teeth even as he speaks. "My parents were a fairytale. Pretty damn happy. In love. Made for each other." And that's how he knows they're real. He's seen them.
no subject
"Maybe they weren't ever fairytales to begin with then," Gracie starts then stops, deciding to qualify her statement with the little experience she's got. "The guy that broke my heart, Eli...I thought he was the one, you know? I thought this was going to be my fairytale, but when things got difficult or that first rush of giddyness faded, he didn't want to stick around. He wasn't my fairytale. He was just a part of the scenery." She fiddles with a loose strand of hair, flicking the end of it at Aslan when he comes over to investigate, walking across the back of the couch. "Or my parents. They were okay and maybe even happy until Ethan's death and then...they couldn't work through it. I think it's the difficult things that really tell whether it's a fairytale or not. It's like the backbone of the fairytale."
"I think we've all got scenery on the way to the fairytale, and it seems so real in the moment. It's only looking back at it that you realize it for what it was." She presses her lips together. She's about to take a chance and she doesn't honestly know if it'll pay off. "Tell me, Peter. Who's your scenery? Who broke your heart?"
no subject
He would move on, but he just needed to clarify the truth of the fairytales he's seen, especially that one. "I get that scenery happens. And I know you've seen your share of it, which sucks. But my parents weren't scenery to each other. She died. He's broken over it. Nothin' went south. That kind of love? It's fuckin' real and deserves more than o be seen as anything other than what it was." Peter can seem very passionate and larger than life about things. But this is a different kind of passion from him. It isn't false, it isn't bravado, it isn't an armor. It's genuine and heartfelt. "May not happen very often, but it happens. And it's real. And sometimes it just gets sad."
no subject
"Oh. No," I didn't mean it like that, Peter." Gracie is quick to clarify. "Fairy tales don't end because someone dies. I'm sorry. I should have--" She hadn't really connected the sad part to the part about his parents being a fairytale and she probably should have. "I didn't realize that was the kind of sad you were talking about. I guess I was just thinking about the part where he loved her. I wasn't thinking about the part where it's sad because she's gone."
She takes a quick breath. "I'm sorry. For not understanding, for your father having to go through that and for you and Mark too."
no subject
no subject
"I never liked Jennifers. They always seemed dodgy and peppy and is it okay to call them Jen or Jenny. You never really know." She takes a deep breath. "Whoever she was, whatever she did, she's the one that messed up, and at the same time, I'd like her address so I can send her a thank you card. Her loss was definitely my gain."
no subject
And he had adored her, completely and wholly. "She was my high school sweetheart. We dated for four year." He's just trying to get through it now, words coming out like he's reciting someone else's story. "I was more into it than she was. I get it. Hindsight's a bitch. But I brought up college our senior year. I brought up our future. And it came out that she didn't want a future with me. She said I was fun, dangerous, crazy, and never the long haul guy."
no subject
It's obvious by the way he's saying it that it's difficult for him and Gracie's heart is breaking for him. Unconsciously, she sets her tea cup down, both hands going to cover her heart. Sympathy for him wells up in her throat and she has to clear it to speak.
"Maybe you weren't her long haul guy, but you're mine."
no subject
no subject
Gracie saw that moment though and she shakes her head. "You haven't messed anything up, Peter. You introduced an obstacle, one that we can get over. I will trust you again, as long as you're trustworthy."
She took a deep breath. "I'm still counting on you, Mis Text Boy."
no subject
"I'll try not to let you down anymore."
no subject
"I know," she smiles softly at him. "So how is practice going?"
no subject
He smiled a bit. "Then I can come see you. There a gym in your neighborhood?"
no subject
She couldn't help but smile at that. "Yup. A few blocks away. You could probably walk if you wanted."
no subject
"Where should cat sleep?" He asks.
no subject
As much as Gracie likes when Peter breaks down some of those walls and acts like the sweet man that she knows he can be, it's good that the cockiness is back. It means that he's settling into things.
She shrugs at his question. "I always put Aslan on the bed with me, but you can put a blanket in the bathroom and let her sleep there if you'd rather."
that was not win. sorry!
Re: that was not win. sorry!
"I'm pretty sure you won't roll over on top of her." Gracie knows exactly what would really happen. "Put her in the bathtub with a blanket. That way you know she won't wander off."